This is an interview with verified Google+ Evangelist Jaana Nyström and she is one of the top experienced users in the Google+ community. Jaana is a Google+ helper & volunteer, entrepreneur, and community manager. In this post she gives you her experience, on how to succeed with Google+ as your community.
Why do you use Google?
I joined Google+ already in June 2011 and really for the first time felt at home in a ‘”social environment”. The interesting people and discussions have been like a window to the world for me. I’ve made new friends and learned many things.
This has been a tremendous help in boosting my business.
How do you use Google+?
Around 12 hours a day…
I manage several business pages on different topics and languages. On my own profile I post about various subjects, all in English. The key interest for me is Google+ and helping the newcomers to get more out of the platform. To support this I also own +Google+ Help (Unofficial) and the Finnish get-together +Gplussa.
The key benefits of Google+?
The features I like the best on Google+ are:
- Hangouts, Events & Hangouts on Air & YouTube combo
- Formatting the text on posts
- Circles and the ability to control the noise
- Photo albums and large image size, editing possibility.
For people who don’t have a blog or a website, they can use Google+. For businesses the Google+ presence helps get better visibility in Google search and also helps to communicate, with the customers, staff and other groups through circles.
Google+ can be used as a communications intranet, too, in addition to Google Drive, Hangouts and Google Apps collaboration.
The purpose of Google+?
Hmm… Social layer on top of and connecting all Google tools. I don’t think even Google knew, what people would put Google+ to use, it’s still evolving. But they listen to the users all the time and make changes for the better.
I wish we get a basic Wysiwyg editor soon and also the ability to link documents and PDF’s, and to post links and images within the text. For the business pages the possibility of sharing posts semi-public or only for those who have circled the page!
What is your best advice?
Google+ is different from other platforms and needs a bit more work than, lets say Pinterest. But once you’ve understood, what the idea behind Circles is, the rewards are great. Don’t wait for your friends and family to join you, but venture outside your comfort zone and you might be surprised!
Posts, profile, photo… If there is nothing showing, I’ll not even think of circling you back, sorry.
For the rest, it’s just a question of finding your niche. And making an effort.
My 5 C:s are: Circle, curate, create, communicate & consume!
- Be persistent and be yourself. Be polite. Don’t post controversial stuff on your business profile in Public.
- Use the search for your pet topics, music or sports, look at the people’s profiles who comment on those posts and circle, circle, circle.
- Then comment, post, share and circle again. Repeat and keep on repeating.
- Feed the Google+ fires with the flame of your passions!
- Sharing posts from Google+ to Facebook and Twitter by using Bufferapp or similar is very much recommended, not so the other way round.
Jaana is a leader, authority, and a tenacious advocate for the Google+ community.